Never disable your firewall, no matter how good it sounds

Published: 2008-07-27
Last Updated: 2008-07-27 21:03:07 UTC
by Tony Carothers (Version: 1)
3 comment(s)

On a very slow rainy day here throughout the US (hitting both coasts today) I thought I'd share this tidbit of wisdom that we should never let go of: NEVER disable your home or personal firewalls, no matter the reason.  If there is a site that won't work because of your firewall, they need to figure out how to make it work for you.  It is the site that wants 'you' and 'your business' so they need to post instructions to aide in you safely and securely configuring your home and personal firewalls.  If they won't, do a bit of research, ask a friend, or ask a computer pro to assist with a packet capture and find out what needs to be done.  We here at the ISC are always willing to help with that sort of thing as well.  But please, please, *please* don't disable the firewall!

Tony

Keywords:
3 comment(s)

Comments

How about myriad of games and security software (personal firewalls, antivirus) which also want to disable my personal firewall or antivirus before install? And still these programs need online connection for registration or for downloads.
To your question, LaFuu, that's when you need hardware firewalls. If you're on a laptop and away from home or work where you have the hardware firewalls, unplug while the install is in process. Once it is done, re-enable your firewall and allow the downloads. If it won't let you do that, don't install it!
Two observations:

1. Multiple software firewalls can be almost as bad as no firewall. If your machine has more than one active, then WHICH one will service the traffic?

2. Small, hardware firewalls are, now-a-days, more than portable and there is no excuse not to have one in your portable computing kit.

FBIG

Diary Archives