New Internet Storm Center Director

Published: 2010-12-10
Last Updated: 2010-12-10 17:47:55 UTC
by Marcus Sachs (Version: 1)
12 comment(s)

To all of our readers, supporters, and volunteers I'd like to thank everybody for your help and support over the past seven years while I've been the Director of the SANS Internet Storm Center.  I became the Director in September 2003, right after the infamous Blaster worm had train-wrecked many networks and made life difficult for thousands of system administrators and users.  I had no idea how successful the SANS ISC was going to become, but it has matured way beyond what I thought we could do back then.  

Like many of our volunteer handlers who have moved along due to career changes and life events, I've reached the point where I need to step down from the role of Director and turn the leadership over to a face many of you are familiar with - Johannes Ullrich.  Johannes has been our CTO since the beginning and is the perfect person to lead the organization to new levels of success.  I'll still be part of the community, but due to increasing work requirements and this pesky PhD I've been working on for the past few years I won't be able to keep devoting the proper amount of time needed to run this great group.

If you are at the SANS Cyber Defense Initiative (CDI) event in Washington, DC please join us at 6:30 pm tonight for the official hand-over and to meet several of our volunteer handlers.

I look forward to continuing my support to SANS and the community, and I offer my best wishes for success to Johannes and the handler team.

Marcus H. Sachs
Director, SANS Internet Storm Center

Keywords:
12 comment(s)

Comments

Thanks for all you hard work, Marcus, and congratulations to Johannes. ISC is unequivocally the go-to place for the latest network security information.
Thank you Marcus and congrats to Johannes !!
Fantastic work Marcus! The Internet is a better place because of the ISC.
Thank you for all the work you have put in over the years. The ISC certainly makes a critical difference for the Good Guys!
Marcus - I started my security career in the CDI Essentials class a few years ago, and it was truly eye-opening. Since then, I've fallen down the rabbit hole to a world I never could imagine.

Thanks for all your efforts, and your willingness to teach!
Thanks for your excellent efforts and best wishes Markus.
Somebody should nominate Marcus for a Nobel Prize. I believe the work he and the other handlers have done at the ISC since 2003 has resulted in billions of dollars in savings to the companies we all work for. Thanks for helping me do my job over the last 7 years.
Thanks for the hard work over the years. I hope you have succes on/in your new endeavours.
Thanks for all your effort Marcus, good luck with your PhD, and congratz to Johannes "Welcome to the Club" ;)
Good luck getting the Ph.D. completed, thanks' for the effort here & hope we hear from on occasion!!

Diary Archives