Finding the Clowns on the Syslog Carousel

Published: 2014-07-10
Last Updated: 2014-07-10 16:39:17 UTC
by Rob VandenBrink (Version: 1)
11 comment(s)

So often I see clients faithfully logging everything from the firewalls, routers and switches - taking terabytes of disk space to store it all.  Sadly, the interaction after the logs are created is often simply to make sure that the partition doesn't fill up - either old logs are just deleted, or each month logs are burned to DVD and filed away.

The comment I often get is that logs entries are complex, and that the sheer volume of information makes it impossible to make sense of it.  With 10's, hundreds or thousands of events per minute, the log entries whiz by at a dizzying speed.  Just deciding to review logs can be a real time-eater, unless you use methods to distil how you find the "clowns" on the carousel so you can deal with them appropriately.

(not to scale)

The industry answer to this is to install a product.  You can buy one of course, or use free tools like  Bro, ELSA, Splunk (up to a certain daily log volume) which can all do a good job at this.  Netflow solutions will also do a great job of categorizing traffic up pictorially.

But what if you don't have any of that?  Or what if you've got a few hundred gigs of text logs, and need to solve a problem or do Incident Handling RIGHT NOW?

Let's look at a few examples of things you might look for, and how you'd go about it.  I'll use Cisco log entries as an example, but aside from field positions, you can apply this to any log entry at all, including Microsoft events that have been redirected to syslog with a tool such as snare.

First, let's figure out who is using DNS but is NOT a DNS server?
type syslogcatchall.txt | grep "/53 " | grep -v a.a.a.b | grep -v a.a.a.c

Where a.a.a.b and a.a.a.c are the "legit" internal DNS servers. We're using "/53 ", with that explicit trailing space, to make sure that we're catching DNS queries, but not traffic on port 531, 532, 5311, 53001 and so on.

That leaves us with a bit of a mess - wa-a-ay too many records and the text is just plain too tangled to deal with.  Let's just pull out the source IP address in each line, then sort the list and count the log entries per source address - note that we're using a Windows Server host, with the Microsoft "Services for Unix" installed.  For all the *nix purists, I realize this could be done simpler in AWK, but that would be more difficult to illustrate.  If anyone is keen on that, by all means post the equivalent / better AWK syntax in our comment form - or perl / python or whatever your method is  - the end goal is always the same, but the different methods of getting there can be really interesting!

Anyway, my filtering command was:

D:\syslog\archive\2014-07-03>type SyslogCatchAll.txt | grep -v a.a.a.b | grep -v a.a.a.c | grep "/53 " | sed s/\t/" "/g | cut -d " " -f 13 | grep inside | sed s/:/" "/g | sed s/\//" "/g | cut -d " " -f 2 | sort | uniq -c | sort /R

This might look a little complicated, but let's break it up.

grep -v a.a.a.b | grep -v a.a.a.c remove all the records from the two "legit" DNS Servers
grep "/53 " We're looking for DNS queries, which includes traffic with destination ports of TCP or UDP port 53.  Note again the trailing space.
sed s/\t/" "/g convert all of the tab characters in the cisco syslog event line to a space.  This mixing of tabs and spaces is typical in syslogs, and can be a real challenge in splitting up a record for searches.
cut -d " " -f 13  using the space character as a delimeter, we just want field 13, which will look like  "interface name/source ip address:53"
sed s/:/" "/g | sed s/\//" "/g  change those pesky ":" and "/" characters to spaces
cut -d " " -f 2 pull out just the source address
sort | uniq -c finally, sort the resulting ip addresses, and count each occurence
sort /R sort this final list by count in descending order.  Note that this is the WINDOWS sort command.  In Linux, you would use "sort -rn"

The final result is this, the list of hosts that are sending DNS traffic, but are not DNS servers. So either they're misconfigured, or they are malicious traffic using UDP/53 or TCP/53 to hide from detection

525 10.x.z..201
   182 10.x.y.236
   115 10.x.z.200
    40 10.x.y.2
    34 10.x.y.38
    20 10.x.y.7
    20 10.x.y.118
     2 10.x.x.138
     2 10.x.x.137
     2 10.x.x.136
     2 10.x.x.135
     2 10.x.x.133
     2 10.x.x.132
     2 10.x.x.131

So what did these turn out to be?    The first few are older DNS servers that were supposed to be migrated, but were forgotten - this was a valuable find for my client.  The rest of the list is mostly misconfigured in many cases they were embedded devices (cameras, timeclocks and TVs)  that were installed by 3rd parties, with Google's DNS hard coded.  A couple of these stations had some nifty malware, running botnet C&C over UDP port 53 to masquerade as DNS.  All of these finds were good things for my client to find and deal with!

What else might you use this for?  Search for tcp/25 to find hosts that are sending mail directly out that shouldn't (we found some of the milling machinery on the factory floor that was also happily sending SPAM), or tcp/110  for users who are using self-installed email clients

If you are using a proxy server for internet control, it's useful to find workstations that have incorrect proxy settings - in other words, find all the browser traffic (80, 443, 8080, 8081, etc) that is NOT using proxy.

SSH, Telnet, tftp, ftp, sftp and ftps are other protocols that you might be interested in, as they are common protocols to send data in or out of your organization.

VPN and other tunnel traffic is another traffic type that you should be looking at for analysis.  Various common VPN protocols include:
IPSEC is generally some combination of:
ESP - IP Protocol 50.  For this you would look for "ESP" in your logs - it's not TCP or UDP traffic at all.
ISA udp/500
IPSEC can be encapsulated in UDP, commonly in udp/500 and/or udp/4500, though really you can encapsulate using any port, as long as the other end matches.  You can also encapsulate in tcp, many VPN gateways default to tcp/10000., but that's just a default, it could be anything.

GRE (Cisco's Generic Routing Encapsulation) - IP Protocol 47
Microsoft PPTP - TCP/1723 plus IP protocol 47

What else might you look for?  How about protocols that encapsulate IPv6?Teredo / 6to4 is the tunneling protocl that Microsoft uses by default - IP protocol 41 (see  https://isc.sans.edu/diary/IPv6+Focus+Month%3A+IPv6+Encapsulation+-+Protocol+41/15370 )

If you've got a list of protocols of interest, you can easily drop all of these in a single script and run them at midnight each day, against yesterday's logs.

Using just CLI tools, what clowns have you found in your logs?  And what commands did you use to extract the information?

===============
Rob VandenBrink
Metafore

Keywords:
11 comment(s)

Comments

Great point about actually doing something with the logs. It's been a point I try to make with anyone who will listen for quite a while now. :-)

One tool I've found extremely useful is Oak:
http://ktools.org/oak/

It's become my swiss-army-knife of log-watching. For instance, I've got a whole battery of rules to watch postfix logs for someone refusing email from us, or watching DNS query logs or RPZ logs for anyone querying for a known-hostile domain or triggering one of the many APT-related DNS filters I've got in place. You can have it fire off emails, or run arbitrary commands when it sees whatever you're looking for. You can have it send summaries every X minutes, filtering out only the unique bits of the log lines you care about. It's really a slick little tool.

One thing about watching for outbound DNS attempts... Some bullet-head decided that dnsmasq made a better DNS client than, say, nscd and now all the modern linuxes use this by default. I'd love to find whoever thought this was a good idea and punch him in the eye because it means all these linux desktops are now running a full-blown proxy server and will do their own NS record lookups. Your DHCP server will tell them "here, use these two DNS servers near you" and dnsmasq will helpfully try to use any/every DNS server listed in the NS records. It also means it'll do NS record lookups for domains outside of your network and try to query them too... repeatedly... even though your firewall is blocking outbound DNS (you DO block outbound DNS except from your proxies, right? - grin).

But, if you know for certain that some IPs are hostile DNS servers, you can easily tell oak to watch for anyone trying to send DNS packets to 'em.

I've also found that grep is ok... up to a point. But when you get a list of 50+ IPs or domains from the Feds that you want to now search months worth of firewall/dns logs for (cough -blackshade- cough) grep -f can take FOREVER. I've been fiddling with making my own multi-threaded grep programs to make better use of today's multi-core systems. 'Nothing ready to share yet but hopefully sometime soon...
I've also heard good things about Prelude but haven't had a chance to take it for a test-drive yet...
*nix purist here, and i will just leave this here and take my arch linux with me:

cat SyslogCatchAll.txt | grep -Ev "a.a.a.b|a.a.a.c" | grep "/53 " | sed 's/\t/ /g;s/:/ /g;s/\// /g' | awk '$13 ~ /inside/{print $2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn
First off, great article!

It prompted me to write some new Sagan rules (http://sagan.io). Here's two quick examples of detecting the same thing via Fortinet/Fortigate logs with Sagan. In your sagan.conf, add:

var DNS_SERVERS [192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3]

Obviously, replace the IP addresses with your internal DNS servers. Then we create some new rules like this:

alert udp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 53 (msg: "[FORTINET-MALWARE] DNS traffic to unknown DNS server"; content: "dst_port=53"; content: "proto=17"; meta_content:!"dstip=",$DNS_SERVERS; pase_src_ip: 1; parse_dst_ip: 2; classtype: suspicious-traffic; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 5, seconds 300; after: track by_src, count 5, seconds 300; reference: url, wiki.quadrantsec.com/bin/view/Main/5002090; reference: url, isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Finding+the+Clowns+on+the+Syslog+Carousel/18373; sid: 5002090; rev: 1;)

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 53 (msg: "[FORTINET-MALWARE] TCP DNS traffic to unknown DNS server"; content: "dst_port=53"; content: "proto=6"; meta_content:!"dstip=",$DNS_SERVERS; parse_src_ip: 1; parse_dst_ip: 2; classtype: suspicious-traffic; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 5, seconds 300; after: track by_src, count 5, seconds 300; reference: url, wiki.quadrantsec.com/bin/view/Main/5002091; reference: url, isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Finding+the+Clowns+on+the+Syslog+Carousel/18373; sid: 5002091; rev: 1;)

I'll write some Cisco rules tonight :)

These will likely become part of the *-malware.rules sets.

Having the data is half the battle. Knowing WHAT to look for is the key. It's the entire point of Sagan. For example, check out our rule sets at https://github.com/beave/sagan-rules.

Sagan is a tool designed to point out bad events in logs, in _real time_. The bonus it's compatible with Snort's unified2, so we can put our suspicious log events in our favorite console (Snorby, Sguil, etc) right along with our IDS event.

More infor can be found at http://sagan.io
another *nix fan here. in this case, tr is faster and easier than sed.
Thanks Rob - this is good stuff. Thoughts on compiling (community based) a more comprehensive list of these that people have found useful in the past? It sounds like a SANS/GIAC gold paper but just curious since this we be so useful to so many.
This also looks like things that should be dumped into SIEM rules/correlations on the assumption you can identify your DNS servers, mailservers/relays, etc.
Lastly - is any of this canned in any of the Splunk apps?
This would indeed make an interesting GIAC Gold paper. Let me know if you decide to pursue this topic that way !
A really good article. Few ports that we come across on daily basis for our customers :

1. RDP port - 3389 - possible this will be coming after VPN connection but sometimes they are not.
2. Database SQL ports - 1433 - looking at the connections communicating to database and identifying known or new hosts.
3. in-house applications ports that has no reasons to communicate to the internet.
This is also accomplished very easily using network flow data. Requires much less disk space as well.

"Network Profiling Using Flow"
http://resources.sei.cmu.edu/asset_files/TechnicalReport/2012_005_001_28167.pdf
Thx Rob for your diary,

Another good stuff for checking logs: http://etplc.org,

Check 8719 Threats on your proxy logs and webserver logs.

Please send any comments / feedbacks.

Special Thanks to Community and @EmergingThreats Open Signature.

@Rmkml

Diary Archives