Are you a small business that experienced a DoS attack?

Published: 2013-10-24
Last Updated: 2013-10-24 16:19:03 UTC
by Johannes Ullrich (Version: 1)
1 comment(s)

We are looking for small "brick and mortar" companies that got affected by a DoS attack agains their website. Recently, we heard from a couple of non-internet local businesses whose websites experienced substantial DoS attacks, and we would like to see if this was just an "outlier" or a new trend.

Pleaes use our contact form: https://isc.sans.edu/contact.html

------
Johannes B. Ullrich, Ph.D.
SANS Technology Institute
Twitter

Keywords: dos smb
1 comment(s)

Comments

Dr J

I am not really a small business, more of a non-profit researcher. My website was hit not to long ago by supposed Anonymous members supporting Wikileaks. The DDoS was so severe that I had to move my domains to another host that advertised experience handling attacks of this nature. On top of that move, I also signed up with Cloudflare professional, which did not help immediately, but once I got everything properly configured, does seem to have helped mitigate a few smaller attacks.

I was able to retrieve the my entire /var/log folder from the old server, but have not really had a lot of time to go through it.

As far as it being a trend...I would say yes and no as Anonymous and Wikileaks are commonly mentioned in random attacks. They attacked me because I showed support for The Jester by creating and hosting a timeline showing 3 years worth of TANGO DOWN attacks on known jihadist/terror website. The tweets I received in conjunction were demands to remove those timelines etc etc.

Anyhoo...that's my story.

Jeff
@HackDefendr

Diary Archives