Java up to date ?

Published: 2009-02-10
Last Updated: 2009-02-12 09:19:14 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
2 comment(s)

Roseman wrote in with a link to http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp, where one can test if the installed java environment is up to date. Great for home users, but the corporate types need to make sure they have their entire fleet up to date (and get rid of old versions -a not so small task when it comes to java environments-).

Roseman did indicate his update for the first time did remove the old update 11 environment. Finally! But he also indicated it still reset his preferences from daily check for updates to monthly as well as other preferences.

The latest release is Java 6 update 12:

--
Swa Frantzen -- Section 66

Keywords: java update
2 comment(s)

Comments

My corporate environment requires each system to have three specific versions of Java installed on it. What would be nice is a tool that could tell me all the versions installed on a system.
A possible solution would be to use a plain old .BAT script...
I believe the example below will build a text file listing the versions that are supported - I have not tested it with all java versions! ;(

The resulting file could be copied centrally, the data could be uploaded into a database or ...
--- Script Example below ---
@ECHO OFF
REM DRAFT script by dotBATman
REM Dependency; JAVA.EXE in current path
IF EXIST \"%temp%\\javaver_%computername%.txt\" DEL \"%temp%\\javaver_%computername%.txt\"

REM Call :CHKVER Version UpdateStart UpdateEnd
CALL :CHKVER 1.3.1 1 24
CALL :CHKVER 1.4.2 1 19
CALL :CHKVER 1.5.0 1 17
CALL :CHKVER 1.6.0 1 12

REM Handle the file
ECHO Supported Java JRE version(s):
TYPE \"%temp%\\javaver_%computername%.txt\"
GOTO EOF

:CHKVER
FOR /L %%f IN (%2,1,%3) DO @java -version:%1_%%f>NUL&IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (ECHO>NUL) ELSE ECHO %computername%,%1_%%f>>\"%temp%\\javaver_%computername%.txt\"
GOTO EOF

:EOF

Diary Archives